PILGRIM AREA COLLABORATIVE
Connecting School – Home – Community
The Pilgrim Area Collaborative (PAC) was established in 1976 to provide individualized educational services to children, ages 3-22, with significant learning challenges whose needs for support could not be met within their home school districts. PAC is one of 30 educational collaboratives in Massachusetts and provides programs and services to students & families from 32 communities from the South Shore & Cape Cod. Children are referred to PAC by their local school districts.
PAC students are educated primarily in substantially separate classrooms located in age-appropriate public schools within member school districts. PAC students are provided opportunities to be included within typical education classes and activities as appropriate, and to be active participants in the school community, as well as the local municipality.
PAC also extends its services to home and community through its Pilgrim Area Collaborative Extended Services (PACES) program, through home consulting and training for parents and students, consulting to professional staff in school districts and offering professional development to districts. In addition, PAC runs extended day and extended year (summer) programs.
PAC is governed by a Board of Directors that is composed of representatives of each member school district. PAC programs and services are overseen by an Executive Director. The Executive Director is advised by an Operating Committee that is composed of Special Education Directors of each member school district.
The mission of the Pilgrim Area Collaborative is, in partnership with member districts, to be a resource by providing programs and services that reflect high‐quality, research‐based, best practices for the ever‐evolving needs of the students, families, educators and communities that we serve.
- We believe that the community has a responsibility to educate all of its children.
- We believe in honoring and valuing the uniqueness, diversity, abilities and talents of all students.
- We believe that given the appropriate instructional environment, all students can and must learn.
- We believe that the community has an obligation to provide the specialized programming that each student needs.
- We believe that all students have a right to safe, secure and positive learning environment.
- We believe that each individual student must have a vision for the future that he/she should be able to attain.
- We believe that we are accountable to the student, parents and community for assisting each student to reach his/her fullest potential.
- We believe that an appropriate environment fosters positive growth and change.
- We believe in mutual respect, open communication and collegiality.
Our vision is to offer a range of programs and services to strengthen and challenge children in need. Through innovation our staff creates programs and services that are current, as well as anticipatory of future needs. Our highly skilled, knowledgeable, and well‐trained staff design and implement individualized services for our students that maximize opportunities for their academic, emotional and social development.
The Collaborative is regarded as an expert resource to communities offering consultation, training, human resource and creative solutions to address the ever‐changing dynamics of our students and their families. To do so, means that we thrive in safe, attractive, and stable learning environments where students are integrated with peers and staff is recognized for their expertise. Collegiality, reflection, and partnership will be at the core of our daily interactions.
Collaboration with public school districts will provide customized, economical and effectual supports to children and families in need. Multi‐faceted communication strategies foster highly evolved relationships committed to students’ success.
As a result of these conditions, the Collaborative is the interdependent extension of the public schools and families in meeting our students’ needs. Communities and colleagues engage the Collaborative in meaningful affiliations to ensure opportunities for our students’ happiness and success.